Most LiPo batteries in RC vehicles typically provide their optimal performance for 18 months. They last up to 3 years on average with proper maintenance and care.
The lifetime of LiPo batteries varies depending on how they are used and handled. You can even expand their longevity by following good practices while using.
In this article, we will cover what affects the lifetime of LiPo batteries, how to prolong their durability and some good practices to follow during usage.
Read and explore.
What Affects the Lifespan of Lipo Batteries?
These are the common factors that influence a LiPo battery’s lifespan. Let’s check them out.
♦ Charging and Discharging Cycles
The lifespan of a LiPo battery vastly depends on how many times it has undergone the charging and discharging cycles. The more cycles it experiences, the quicker its lifetime reduces. Extreme cycles like overcharging can minimize its lifetime significantly. On the other hand, controlled charging practices can expand its longevity.
♦ Storage and environmental conditions
The longevity of LiPo batteries also depends on the environmental conditions where you store them. For example, the degradation of LiPo batteries can be prevented if you store them in a cool and dry environment. In contrast, the battery can lose its capacity and durability when stored in a place with extreme temperatures.
♦ Handling and maintenance practices
Your handling and maintenance process dramatically affects the lifespan of the LiPo batteries. Using the battery carefully without dropping and crushing it, you can enhance its longevity. Moreover, regular maintenance and inspection will keep the battery in good condition.
Can You Extend the Lipo Battery’s Lifespan?
Since the lifespan of LiPo batteries mostly depends on charging/discharging cycles, you can extend their longevity by applying some good practices. Check out the following points to get ideas.
Best charging practices for LiPo batteries:
- Always use a specialized LiPo charger or balanced charger to charge LiPo batteries.
- Supervise the entire charging process. Never leave a LiPo battery alone when it is connected to the charger.
- Before charging the battery, ensure you have correctly matched the +/- terminals.
- Check the charge rate on the user manual and set the charger to accurate voltage.
- If possible, charge a LiPo battery in a fireproof charging bag.
- Never charge a LiPo battery near flammable objects or on a hot surface.
Best discharging practices for LiPo batteries:
- Never discharge a LiPo battery less than its specific voltage threshold.
- If you plan not to use the battery longer, discharge it 50% before storing it to keep it healthy.
- Do not discharge a LiPo battery that is swollen or has leakage. Instead, discard the battery following recommended process.
Essential Tips for Proper Storage and Handling of Lipo Batteries
Here are some quick tips for storing and handling LiPo batteries if you expect better performance and longevity.
- Find a cool, dry and well-ventilated area to store the battery.
- Avoid extreme hot and cold temperatures and direct sunlight for storing the battery.
- For additional safety, keep the battery in a fireproof bag during storage.
- If you need to store multiple batteries, keep them separate to avoid unwanted accidents.
- Be careful so you do not accidentally drop, crush and puncture the battery.
- Know when to disconnect the battery from the charger to prevent overcharging or over-discharging.
- While storing the batteries, ensure they are out of children’s and pets’ range.
How to Ensure LiPo Batteries’ Optimal Health?
To keep LiPo batteries healthy, you must follow some maintenance routines like the following ones:
- Keep LiPo batteries under inspection and be careful about warning signs, such as physical damage, leakage and swelling.
- Clean the battery’s terminal and connector using a dry cloth or soft brush to remove dirt.
- Check the battery’s voltage from time to time to ensure it remains within the optimal range.
- Use a balance charger to charge and maintain the cell balance of the battery.
- If the battery fails to perform like before, replace it with a new one.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do LiPo batteries from various brands have different lifespans?
Yes, the lifespan of LiPo batteries can vary depending on the brands. It is because the manufacturers use materials of different qualities and maintain unique production processes, which can affect the lifespan.
When should I replace my RC LiPo batteries?
You must replace them when you notice degradation, poor performance and physical damage to the batteries.
How often should I check the condition of LiPo batteries?
After each usage, you should always check the before-after condition of the battery. Besides, you must check the voltage and overall health of the battery according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
Several factors can influence the lifespan of a LiPo battery. However, the LiPo battery can perform to its full potential if it gets proper care. Do you expect high performance from your LiPo battery? Then focus on regular inspection, safe storage and good charging/discharging practices.